Campaign battle for wesnoth:final week

Summary:End of the project

Summary of the week

This week was the final week on wesnoth. The campaign was already entirely playable so I had to focus on adding graphics, sounds and balancing the gameplay.

The graphics

For the units, Briac almost finished to make the sprites so I …

Summary:End of the project

Summary of the week

This week was the final week on wesnoth. The campaign was already entirely playable so I had to focus on adding graphics, sounds and balancing the gameplay.

The graphics

For the units, Briac almost finished to make the sprites so I just put them in the game. I also asked him to make some concept arts (for the background) in 15 mins only (I wanted to see how he works with a short deadline). For the tileset I spent my week-end by trying to integrate a custom tileset, I failed and Alexandre explained me I don't have the time to do this, so I gave up and focused on other things.

The sound-design

For the sound-design I used only sounds which are already in the original game. I used the human library for the terrorist and the ogre library for the bears. I also used a magic-like music for the levels because you are supposed to travel to an imaginary world.

The balancing

For the balancing I was pretty happy because i could use Briac as guinea pig, he tested the campaign a few times and gave me a lot of data to use. The most difficult part was the level 2 who was too difficult at the beginning (merely impossible) and after a nerf way too easy, it took me 10 itérations to finaly find the good balance. The kamikaze was buggy too I had to check every step in his algorithm to find the problems (range and damages essentially).

To conclude

At the end of the deadline Briac and I were able to give an almost complete experience and were happy of our work, this project was really fun to do.

 08 nov. 2018 -  Mathieu Milhem - game design 1 ,   Jeu Wesnoth